Important Information Regarding COVID-19
May 26, 2020
Dear Acton Dental Associates family,
We hope this letter finds you well. We wanted to let all of our patients know that Acton Dental Associates will be open on May 26th for emergency dental procedures performed by the dentist only. At this time, we are opening in phases. This first phase will be focused on emergent or potential emergent issues and will NOT include routine hygiene (cleanings) appointments with your hygienist. As the guidelines from the Massachusetts Department of Health (DPH) and the American Dental Association (ADA) become more clear, we will follow up with you regarding future phases.
We are strictly following the ADA and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Massachusetts Department of Health (DPH) guidelines. Safety will be our #1 priority, and all of our clinical team will be using the recommended Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- N95 masks, face shields, and/or other protective eyewear, disposable gowns, and non-latex gloves.
- We are constantly cleaning and disinfecting all surfaces in our office and clinical treatment rooms with products from the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) list of registered hospital grade surface disinfectants for use against the coronavirus.
- We are wiping doors, handles, and other common area touchpoints for added cleanliness throughout the day.
We are pre-screening all of our staff and patients with a coronavirus questionnaire provided by the CDC and taking temperatures before being allowed to enter the office.
- Hand sanitizer will be available throughout the office.
- Please do not wear gloves to your appointment. While there may be a place and time for gloves, they create a greater danger for cross-contamination in the office.
- Initially we will not be opening our waiting room and will not offer magazines, children’s books, pamphlets, or any other reading materials.
- Appointments will be managed to allow for social distancing between patients. We will do our best to allow for greater time between patients.
- We have installed physical plexiglass barriers and have placed Hepa air filters in each room and in the central air system.
When you arrive, please stay in your car and call to let us know you are here. Please be ON TIME for your appointment. Due to the coronavirus, we have implemented a strict no show and late cancel policy. If you need to cancel your appointment, please do so 48 hours in advance. A fee of $75 will be charged for no shows and late cancellations. Our appointment time slots are more precious than ever during this pandemic.
- Please come to your appointment alone and with a mask on and bring your own eyewear (either regular glasses, safety glasses, or sunglasses).
- Please note that the office will be much cooler than usual so you may want to consider bringing a light jacket or blanket if you tend to be sensitive to colder temperatures.
- If a companion such as a parent, guardian, or caretaker is required to be with you, they will also be screened and temperature taken. The waiting room has been closed so you must stay in the room with your child. We ask that only one parent accompany a child under 18 years and to not bring any other unscheduled family members.
- Other companions will not be allowed to enter the office with you. Please have them wait in the car.
- You will receive a call or text when the office is ready for you to enter the building and will be instructed to meet us upstairs outside our waiting room.
- Someone from our team will greet you and ask the same CDC coronavirus related screening questions and take your temperature.
- Anyone with a temperature over 100.3 degrees Fahrenheit or present with any signs or symptoms of the coronavirus will not be allowed into the office.
Also, to promote social distancing and prevent any cross-contamination, we have created a touchless check-in and check-out system.
- There is no need to stop at the front desk or waiting room. You will be escorted directly to the clinician’s room.
- Our office is paperless and we will not be accepting cash or checks.
- All payments will be done through a credit card before or after your appointment.
- We request that you allow us to store your credit card information for easy and secure payments.
- For patients that have lost dental insurance, we offer a discount membership plan or 3rd party financing.
- If you have any questions as to how this works, we will guide you through the process.
Some other future changes we will make when the hygiene phase opens:
- To promote social distancing, we will implement a staggered schedule. Due to the use of personal PPE and the risk of cross contamination, the dentists will not be able to physically come in for the exam.
- The dentist, however, will be reviewing your chart; and, if needed, will arrange a telecall within 48 hours to review your case and to answer any questions you may have.
- If you have any emergent issues, you will be scheduled for a separate appointment with the dentist.
- Depending on availability, this may be the same day or a different day.
- It is best to tell us ahead of time of any emergent issues before your hygiene appointment.
- We may find the need to adjust or extend our office hours. We will notify any affected patients.
- To minimize the spread of aerosols from ultrasonic/piezo/rotary polishing, we will hand scale and manually place prophy paste.
Our practice finds itself in a difficult situation. Our priority is to continue to provide quality care to our patients. The costs associated with these requirements have increased to an extent that we never imagined. The current guidelines require us to add time to each appointment, to purchase additional PPE, have resulted in a major mark-up of supplies, have created a lack of available goods, and have resulted in interruptions in the supply chain. It is extremely difficult for us to absorb all of these extra costs, to continue to provide quality care and to use the best quality materials and supplies that our patients deserve. We are part of this community and will never sacrifice the quality of your care.
We will not be raising our fees. To help cover the additional costs, we have reluctantly added a COVID-19 fee of $25 to each patient each visit. This is a direct cost fee and generates NO income. It is our hope and intent that this newly implemented fee will be temporary, but we have no way of knowing at this time. We appreciate your understanding and ask for your support in our decision so that we may continue to provide quality, patient-centered care in a safe environment while minimizing the risks of spreading the virus.
We are happy to answer any questions you may have about the steps we are taking to keep our patients and staff safe. We value your trust and loyalty and look forward to welcoming everyone back soon.
Acton Dental Associates
Dr. Erich Kronenwett and Dr. Eric Block
March 16, 2020
In recognition of ongoing news reports and the continued spread of the COVID-19 virus, we realize our patients have questions. As dedicated health care professionals, we want you to know that we remain as diligent as ever in protecting the health and safety of our patients and staff. Our practice strictly adheres to and exceeds the standards for infection control by wearing personal protective gear, using hospital-grade disinfectants, practicing the latest sterilization protocols, utilizing single-use disposable materials, and more. Every effort we have in place is to ensure the safety of our patients and staff. We want you to know that we are monitoring this situation very closely, and we will keep you updated regularly.
Symptoms of coronavirus are reported as flu-like, with varying degrees of severity. While we do not know everything about this virus to date, individuals who are elderly and/or immunocompromised appear to be the most at risk of a severe infection. To ensure your health and safety, and the health and safety of everyone at our practice, please reschedule your appointment if you or a member of your household has a cough, fever, and/or flu-like symptoms. In addition, please reschedule your appointment if you have traveled to any areas within the past 14 days that are at high risk for contracting the coronavirus.
We thank you in advance and extend our gratitude for your understanding and cooperation. Together, we can help keep everyone as safe and healthy as possible. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact our office, and one of our staff members will be more than happy to assist you.
For further information, including measures to keep yourself healthy, visit the following links: